Here are some things I found interesting in the world of minicomics, comic books, graphic novels, small press, self publishing, zines, webcomics, cartoons, digital comics, other, etc. during the week ending 12082013:
"When I heard that Ed was accused of child molestation, I had a hard time believing it. I knew Ed. I couldn’t see it. But that is the way of sociopaths that they can make themselves look innocent and normal in the eyes of everyone else." -Kathleen David on Ed Kramer.
- Hi brothers and sisters. Let’s start with me since I’m the one paying for this party. I wrote reviews of Harley Quinn0, The Walking Dead 144, Savage Dragon 192, Daredevil32-33 and The Sandman Overture 1. Yup. Sho nuff did.
- I also did an in depth study of 80’s porn.
- I sent five bucks to small press and minicomics championRob Clough. We need at least a dozen Rob Clough’s but since we only have one he keeps doing the work of one hundred. Here is one of Rob’s recent feats of strength.
- If you gotta be a jerk then be a jerk but don’t be an asshole. Nobody laughs with the asshole.
- Also don’t be an asshole that calls for the dismissal of someone that points our that you simply can’t draw for crap.
- Also don’t be that asshole that calls people “penis” instead of their names.
- Also don’t be the asshole that says, “I think he’ll most likely try and figure out a way to come in contact with children, and that’s where I’ll get him.” Um, Mr. Assistant District Attorney Danny Porter, that is not comforting at all. Not, at, all comforting! So what you are saying is, Dragon*Con co-founder and child molester Ed Kramer can live in his house, which is exactly where he wants to be, but the next time he breaks the law we all know he already broke then you are going to be the first in line to go “get him” for the same thing you all ready got him for? Law is confusing.
- I live in Gwinnett County GA. I’m glad I don’t live there anymore.
- Dan Nadel announced that Picture Box will not be publishing any more books. It is certainly not good news for comics. You can’t just assume that someone else will pick up the kind of books Nadel would have been publishing if he had carried on and you certainly cannot assume that they would be published with the same quality. I personally did not buy many Picture Box books. I just couldn’t afford them. Sorry. You can make they greatest work of human expression of all time but if it costs over $15.99 there is a good chance I’m never going to read it. Back when I worked at Borders as an inventory manager, I made sure my store stocked a lot of small press graphic novels if for other reason that I myself could read them. But I left Borders and moved to the cow fields about the same time Picture Box started. I picked up a few things here and there at conventions and when I visited civilization. But I missed most of what Picture Box did. You can’t have it all.
- I still pick up Brian Chippendale’s Maggots and flip through it about as much as I flip through anything. It is still fascinating.
- I also couldn’t afford anything on Fantagraphics Kickstarter. Sorry. You small press comics book publishers let me know if you start publishing any comic books under ten dollars.
- David Alan Doane is back to comics blogging. That’s swell.
- I enjoyed this article on the evils of smarm. But if you really want to learn about smarm, watch professional wrestling. Bo Dallas is the human smarm.
- Speaking of wrasslin’, check out this Patrick Dean cover for the new Old School Wrestling Podcast book.
- Speaking of wrasslin’ again, I liked this Joey Weiser comic. Check out those A Round Town comics. Good stuff from Mack, Weiser, Dean and others.
- She’s a wonder all right.
- I would have cast Rosario Dawson.
- Not only because I think Rosario Dawson is the perfect actress for Wonder Woman but also because if there was ever a situation where I was in a position to pay beautiful women to be a part of my… anything, I’m calling Rosario Dawson first.
- But that’s just me. You folks enjoy you skinny starlets in your movie where people wear rubber clothes.
- That new Spider-Man trailer doesn’t look all that great to me.
- Let’s see jerks, criminals, wrestling, movie stars, sexy ladies, movie trailers… what else are you guys into? Comics? Hey, here is a post with a neat pdf of a comics layout template you can use. Make your own comics at home! It’s fun and easy!
- And here you can learn how to draw Adventure Time. Or you could just sit down and draw Adventure Time from memory like every other middle school kid in the United States.
- Would you guys just look at this Jimi Hendrix inspired art by Moebius. Wow. I’ve owned that Voodoo Soup album for years and never figured out that it was Moebius. How did I miss that?
- All I want for Christmas is everything on this list. Or just a gift card from Huddle House. I’m easy.
- Hey you guys know it’s winter right?
- Ooh. A new little Josh Simmons mini. Sending PayPal money… now.
- In the long ago way back time of October, 2013, The New York Post had an article about Julia Wertz’s photos of creepy abandoned gross terrifying things. Wertz has some great items for sale here.
- Years ago there was a cartoonist named Julia Wertz. I really liked her stuff. Damn shame she’s dead now.
- Another place you can exchange money for products which I myself would like to own is Gabby Schulz’s store. You can go ahead and buy me that “Drunk” print if you’d like. Thanks!
- Did you guys know that Devil Dinosaur was on a TV cartoon? Did I tell you about it before? It’s hard to remember because that cartoon is terrible but, still Devil Dinosaur!
- And finally… your microphone sucks by the way.
p.p.s. Let’s pretend we went to high school together on facebook.
p.p.p.s. Google + is another place you can read the same thing I posted here.
p.p.p.p.s. I’ll tumblr for ya.
p.p.p.p.p.s. Yeah, I do Instagram too now. I guess it’s a law or something.